For this South Arm Older Adults Cooking Club meet, Michelle shared a few recipes rich in vegetables and fruits for a heart healthy meal. She shared with us that a recent studies reviewed a daily intake of 5 to 7 servings of vegetables and fruits reduce the risk of heart disease by 50%.
This Pasta with Veggie Confetti recipe utilizes asparagus which is in season.
- 12 oz dried whole wheat pasta, such as penne
- 2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 9 medium asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Source: Healthy Family Meals, American Heart Association