This recipe is adapted from America’s Test Kitchen. The original recipe has an optional roasted red peppers which we left out.
The rice was sweetish from the onions.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups long or short-grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- optional: 3/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat oven to 375F degrees.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and water, cover and bring to a boil. Remove pot from heat and stir in rice and salt. If you do not have a dutch oven, transfer the rice mixture into an oven safe casserole dish. Cover and bake rice until tender, about 65 to 70 minutes.
- Remove pot from oven, uncover, fluff rice with a fork, stir in roasted red peppers (if using) and replace lid. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and black pepper.
- Serve, passing Parmesan and lemon wedges separately.