Just an update from the South Arm Community Center Fund Raiser for the Richmond Food Bank on the 15th November 2014; a total of CAD955 was raised and the food were sold out. Thank you for all the volunteers who made another successful fund raiser event.
Michelle shared a hearty vegetarian quinoa chili in this kitchen.
Quinoa (pronounced as “keen-wah”) is a healthy whole grain that cooks up in 15 to 20 minutes.
- It is high in protein, perfect balance in all 9 amino acids, rarely found in plant protein
- It is a good dose of fiber and iron
- Most quinoa sold in North America is pre-rinsed.
A simple recipe to cook quinoa from eatingwell.com
- ratio of 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water or broth
- bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- 4 teaspoons (20ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (500ml) roughly chopped cremini mushrooms
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 jalapeno, de-seed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 can (796ml) diced can tomatoes
- 1 can (540ml) mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa
Source: this recipe is adapted from Presidentschoice.ca