The main dish for the Mexican meal which Michelle shared in the South Arm Women Community Kitchen is a Quick Tortilla Soup.
This is a filing soup which can be a meal by itself.
Serve the tortilla soup with desired accompaniments.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 x 398ml can of diced, fire roasted tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn or small can corn
- 2 x 398ml can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- cooked, cubed chicken breast (baked or leftover rotisserie)
- tortilla chips
- avocado, chopped
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- grated Cheddar cheese
- cut up limes
Source: Michelle Li