The South Arm Multicultural Community Kitchen made a Greek Lentil Soup (Fakes) in line with the Greek theme menu.
Fakes (pronounced “Fah-kehs”) is a staple in the Greek kitchen. It is a filling meal. It is traditionally served with a drizzle of olive oil and lots of vinegar. Though the vinegar is of course optional, it lifts the lentils and adds another dimension of flavor.
Brown lentil is a good source of iron.
- 8 ounces brown lentils
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch crushed dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar, or to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon organic chicken bullion (optional)
Source: South Arm Community Kitchen