Minoo shared three recipes in the South Arm Community Kitchen as usual.
The first recipe is a soup recipe. This Marvelous Minestrone is great with some toasted bread as a light meal. This soup also freezes well for a quick meal any day of week. Freeze extra in small freezer bags in single portion size.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock or water
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, removed seeds and diced
- 1 green pepper, removed seeds and diced
- 1x19oz (540ml) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage or 1 teaspoon fresh sage (can be substituted with oregano)
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1x14oz (398ml) can kidney beans (or pinto or navy beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup small pasta (like macaroni)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Source: Food Skills for Families; Active Seniors
This recipe uses Italian seasonings as it’s an Italian soup. But do not limit yourself as you can make a curry version with cumin, turmeric or curry powder.
You can also add other vegetables like celery or cabbage.
Adding legumes to the soup as an inexpensive source of protein .