The main course for this vegetarian theme meal at the Caring Place Community Kitchen was a Lentil Mushroom Stew over Mashed Potatoes.
This is a very hearty meal. Minoo also suggested that we baked this into a casserole. Just lay the mashed potatoes at the bottom of a baking dish, topped with the lentil mushroom stew and then with grated cheese. Baked until golden brown. Sounds delicious.
Mashed potatoes ingredients
- 1 pound yellow or Russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable broth or milk
Mushroom Lentil Stew Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 2 cups cremini (or button) mushrooms, sliced
- pinch of salt and pepper each
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or rosemary) or use dried ones
- 2/3 cup dry green lentils, rinsed and drained; To improve digestibility, soak the lentils overnight in cool water.
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable broth
- Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced, optional
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, optional
Source: Caring Place Community Kitchen