The main course for this vegetarian theme meal at the Caring Place Community Kitchen was a Lentil Mushroom Stew over Mashed Potatoes.
This is a very hearty meal. Minoo also suggested that we baked this into a casserole. Just lay the mashed potatoes at the bottom of a baking dish, topped with the lentil mushroom stew and then with grated cheese. Baked until golden brown. Sounds delicious.
Mashed potatoes ingredients
- 1 pound yellow or Russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable broth or milk
Mushroom Lentil Stew Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 2 cups cremini (or button) mushrooms, sliced
- pinch of salt and pepper each
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or rosemary) or use dried ones
- 2/3 cup dry green lentils, rinsed and drained; To improve digestibility, soak the lentils overnight in cool water.
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable broth
- Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced, optional
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, optional
Source: Caring Place Community Kitchen
|Heat a large rimmed pan over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and shallot and saute for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
|Add mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
|Add thyme and jalapeno pepper.
|Add 2 cups vegetable broth and lentils. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook on low for about 20 minutes, adding more broth as needed if the mixture looks dry.
|Meanwhile, add potatoes to a large pot and cover with water so they are submerged. Bring to a boil on high heat and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until they slice off easily when pierced with a knife.
|Once tender, drain the potatoes and add back to the pot or a mixing bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and a bit of olive oil or butter. For added moisture, in place of oil, add milk or vegetable broth.
|Mash until tender and fluffy.
|Once the lentils are tender, taste the stew ad adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt for saltiness, pepper for spice, or tomato paste for more depth of flavor.
|To serve, divide the mashed potatoes between serving plates or bowls and top with desired amount of lentil and mushroom stew.
Garnish with fresh parsley, Parmesan cheese, or more thyme, if desired.
Store leftovers separately, covered, up to 4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer up to 1 month.
Reheat on the stovetop or in a 350 degrees F oven until hot.
This Post Has One Comment