Since I’m not free on the last week of May, I asked Michelle if I could attend the South Arm Hungry Men Community Kitchen instead of missing the session for women. Most of the times, the recipes are the same for both kitchens.
Here is my observations of the Hungry Men Community Kitchen; they are eager to learn to cook and they socialize well with one another. They are helpful with the clean up too. I wish the men in my home are the same. They only need extra guidance with some basic kitchen skills and more complicated recipes ((in term of many steps) .
For this kitchen, the main course is a Smoky Chicken, Peppers and Spinach Pasta Salad. This salad can be served hot or cold.
- 12 ounces rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions (vegetable rotini is preferred)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sauce + 1 tablespoon for cooking chicken
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper,or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- about 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups (2 heaping handfuls) fresh spinach leaves, sliced thinly (chiffonade)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1 large orange bell pepper, seeded and diced small
Yield: serves 8 generously