Michelle shared an Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with 6 ingredients in the South Arm Older Adults Community Kitchen.
We made the cookies with extra ingredients like vanilla, ground cinnamon and baking powder to add more flavour and rise to the cookies.
Michelle brought up the issue of the new threat to health is sugar. She told us that she generally reduces the amount of sugar in her baking by half especially for those recipes that have other sweet ingredients like banana, dates, etc in it.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter
- 1 cup sugar, preferably dark brown sugar (we used 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (or 1 cup quick oats as quick oats absorb more moisture than rolled oats)
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder (optional)
- kosher salt (optional)