Gallo Pinto (Beans and Rice)
Nanzaro learned to enjoy this beans and rice dish while he was on a school humanitarian trip to Costa Rica in spring this year.
The rice did not turn out as black as those Nanzaro had in Costa Rica. I used a mixture of chicken broth and the liquid from cooking the black beans to cook the rice. Perhaps I should use only the cooking liquid from the beans to gives the rice more colour.
- 1 pound of dried black beans, soak in water overnight (or use canned ones for simplicity)
- a small bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red or yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 cups dry whilte rice (I used basmati rice); do not wash
- 3 cups of chicken stock or liquid from cooking the beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying the Gallo Pinto
Missing from the ingredients is the black bean.
P/S: the cup I used to measure the rice and cooking liquid is the cup that came with a rice cooker. It is smaller than the regular measuring cup.
Source: Nanzaro found the recipe for me from the internet.