Minoo used the sugar pumpkin given by the Richmond Sharing Farm to make a warming soup for the colder fall weather.
This Sugar Pumpkin Soup has a gingery and citrusy flavour with a spicy kick.
- 1 sugar pumpkin
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 1 to 2 hot chili peppers
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable stock
- juice from 3 oranges
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- sour cream or creme fraiche for topping
- herbs of your choice for garnishing (chives or cilantro)
Source: South Arm Multicultural Community Kitchen
In the South Arm Multicultural Community Kitchen, Minoo shared three recipes featuring squash and green tomatoes. The recipes were inspired by the squash and green tomatoes given by Richmond Sharing Farm from their abundant harvest.
The above are the squash given by the Richmond Sharing Farm. From front row, left to right is kabocha, sugar pumpkin and acorn. The one on second row right most is butternut squash and the one on the left most is red kuri squash. Any one know what is the name of the squash in the middle of second row?
We made Butternut Squash Cakes with the butternut squash. It is like latkes with the squash replacing the potatoes. They are crispy when freshly fried. These make a great lunch box item.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cups grated butternut squash, packed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- about 4 tablespoons flour
- olive oil for shallow fry
- 1/4 cup sour cream for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds for garnishing (optional)
Source: South Arm Community Kitchen