Charlene prepared this recipe with extra-lean ground beef instead of sirloin strips which makes this comforting dish a bit more affordable and a bit lower in fat. When choosing recipes for the Seniors Cooking Club, Charlene always look out for low fat, low sodium, low sugar and low budget recipes. In fact, we should all adopt such healthy factors.
Stroganoff is usually served over noodles but it is also delicious served over rice, or on toast for a simple dinner.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sherry, optional
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (we substituted with soy sauce)
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream (or full fat plain yogurt)
Frances and Helmut paired up to make this comforting Hamburger Stroganoff.
Prep time: 20 mins; Cook time: 35 to 40 minutes; Serves 4 to 6.