Mary and June teamed up to make this side dish in the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors. The Chard with Chickpeas and Olives tastes wonderful stuffed into a pita, or served on top of brown rice for a quick vegetarian lunch.
This versatile Chard with Chickpeas and Olives side dish tastes best served hot or at room temperature. The chickpeas lend sweetness and textures to this dish.
Chard has shiny green ribbed leaves, with red stems. It has a slightly bitter taste. Fresh young chard can be used raw in salad. Mature chard leaves and stalks are typically used in soup like this Italian Wedding Soup or sauteed which reduces the bitter taste.
- 1 large bunch Swiss chard, or two small bunches
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water or broth
- 10 marinated green olives, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- generous sprinkle of black pepper