The facts on this post is extracted from the Antebellum Plantation Map & Guide.
One of the attraction in the Stone Mountain Park is the self guided tour to the Antebellum Plantation. The Antebellum Plantation is a collection of original buildings from around the state of Georgia. They were built between 1792 and 1875.
These buildings represented the diverse lifestyles of the 18th and 19th century Georgia residents.
The above is Kingston, GA, circa 1845. This was the manor house of the 300-acre Allen Plantation. Bryan Allen was an English cotton broker from Savannah who probably built this home as a summerhouse.
The style of the building is characteristic of the late Federal period. Most of the Palladian windows still contain handmade glass. The octagonal columns outside and the overhead timbers downstairs are made of hand-hewn heart pine, adding both strength and beauty to the building.
Various rooms in the Kingston House.
The above is the Doctor’s Cabin; DeKalb County, GA, circa 1826.
This little cabin is believed to be the oldest building in Dekalb County. It was built by Chapmon Powell, one of the country’s first residents. It is typical of most American homes on the American frontier, serving as both a home and a medical office. The logs are “keyed” or locked, into place, making the corners of the cabin strong enough to withstand tornadoes.
Dr. Powell was instrumental in promoting cordial relations with the Cherokee by providing them with lodging and medical care. He also served as Dekalb County Sheriff and in the State Legislature. The house was used as a field hospital in the Battle of Atlanta. (more…)