In the Food Preservation workshop at Garratt Wellness Center, Karen DW shared an Apple Pie Filling recipe for canning. She has quite a bit of apples on hand.
You will need 2 x 500ml jars (approximately 1 liter or 4 cups) of filling for a 9-inch or 24 cm pie.
- 12 cups sliced peeled cored apples, treated to prevent browning and drained (about 12 medium size apples)
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar (or same amount of brown sugar, not pack)
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 7 (16 ounce or 500ml) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands.
P/S: Apple juice missing from the picture above.
Source: @2010 Hearthmark, LLC dba Jarden Home Brands via Karen DW