Fennel and Celery Salad with Pumpkin Seeds
Michelle, the kitchen facilitator of the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors tries to introduce new ingredients in the kitchen. We often shop for familiar ingredients and seldom attempt to try ingredients that we never use before.
For this recipe, Michelle brought in fennel bulbs from her garden. The Fennel and Celery Salad with Pumpkin Seeds is crunchy and refreshing. The fennel has a mild licorice flavour.
This recipe is best prepared with a mandoline to thinly slice the vegetables. But, if you do not have a mandoline, do not let that be an excuse. Just slice as thin as you can.
- 3 celery stalks, slice in an angle into paper-thin slices
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, halved vertically, slice paper=thin
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese shavings (about 1 1/2 ounces)