Spelt is in the family of wheat. It has a moderate amount of gluten, thus suitable for baking. Spelt which is made into bread, biscuits, crackers and pasta can be found in health food stores.
The Spelt Salad can be a meal by itself. It has lots of vegetables, grains and eggs in it. Someone commented that this salad makes your jaw works out quite a bit as the spelt is quite crunchy and chewy.
- 2 cups spelt kernels
- 2 large red/yellow peppers, cubed
- 2 cups dill pickles, drained, cubed, reserve brine
- 200g cheese (e.g. cheddar), cubed
- 3 hardboiled eggs – optional, cubed
- 1/2 English cucumber, cubed
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- chives – optional
Click on Read More for the instructions.