Farro and White Bean Soup
Michelle prepared 4 recipes for this session of South Arm Older Adults Cooking Club.
The first recipe is Farro (or Tuscan Spelt) and White Bean Soup. Making soup is a great way to use leftovers. This soup is a complete meal with grains, beans and veggies.
Farro is a grain related to wheat that is lower in gluten and has a different flavour and texture. You can use spelt or barley in place of farro.
- 1 1/2 cups cannellini beans (white beans), soaked overnight and cooked or approximate 3 cups canned
- 1 1/2 cups spelt or farro, soaked 4 to 8 hours if not pearled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, remove stem and chop
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, peeled and seeded or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
P/S: we substituted the onion with extra garlic as onion was missing from the groceries list.
Source: South Arm Older Adults Cooking Club