Locro de Habas (Fava Bean Soup)
Colleen prepared 3 dishes for the South Arm Seniors’ Kitchen. Her goal for this menu is to introduce some new ingredients to the participants.
The first recipe is a Fava Bean Soup. The soup is thickish with the addition of egg. It has some similarity in ingredients like this Chinese Tomato Egg Soup.
Fava Bean is also known as Broad Bean, Bell Bean, Field Bean or Tic Bean. Preparing fava bean involves first removing the beans from their pods, then remove their exterior coating of soft shell before cooking.
So, the kitchen started with everyone seating around the table to prepare the fava beans. This job is great to involve everyone in the family to help out while catching up with one another.
- 4 cups twice peeled fresh fava beans, from about 4 pounds of whole fava pods
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups diced white onion, about 1 large onion
- 2 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon achiote powder (annatto seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt to taste
- 3 large gold potatoes, peeled and diced, about 3 cups
- 6 cups water or broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs, light beaten
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled queso fresco (we substituted with feta cheese)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or pasley
- 1 avacodo, peeled and sliced for garnishing
- hot sauce, optional
Source: via Colleen
Serves 6 to 8
The Annatto seasoning gives the soup the reddish colour.