Helmut and Paul made this Zucchini Rice Casserole adapted from Cooking Light. This recipe serves 8. You may halve the recipe easily. For solo dining, you may filled this in 1-cup ramekins and freeze them just before the baking process. This way, you can bake the individual servings when needed. Otherwise, you can bake it first and portion them into single serving plastic containers and freeze for later consumption. You just have to reheat them in the microwave.
The Zucchini Rice Casserole is creamy and rich and I’ll bet your kids will love this comfort food. They will not even noticed that it’s made with healthy zucchini.
- 8 cups sliced zucchini (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup (4-oz) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream (or use 1/2 cup sour cream plus 1/2 cup cottage cheese)
- 1/4 cup (1-oz) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
P/S: missing ingredients from this photo: eggs, brown rice, Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs, chicken broth, salt and pepper.