In the Gilmore Park Church Community Kitchen, we helped Karen to make few hundreds of wonton for the community meal. Karen decided to serve Chinese dish during the Chinese New Year event. We were told that the community meal crowd applauded when it was announced during the previous meal.
Karen made the wonton using chicken as some of the people at the community meal do not take pork. Karen used organic chicken broth to make the soup and added bak choy and mushroom to complete the soup.
This is the ingredients for 6 servings.
Ingredients for the wonton:
- 1/2 lb ground chicken (you may substitute with pork or turkey)
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts (canned or fresh), minced
- 1 tablespoon minced/grated ginger root
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons constarch
- 1 12oz package wonton wrapper
- egg white or water for sticking (if wrapper is too dry or has too much flour on it)
Ingredients for the soup:
- 1 litre chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup bak choy or napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup snap peas or snow peas, trimmed & sliced (optional)