The second dish which Minoo prepared in the Gilmore Park Church Community Kitchen for the grain theme recipe is Millet Pilaf. Millet is often associated with bird feed in North America but is gaining acceptance into the human diet. Minoo told us that the incorporation of millet will made a very creamy mash potatoes.
This Millet Pilaf is another vegetarian recipe if you substitute butter with vegetable oil. Pilafs are open to a wide range of variations; any and all the vegetables may be substituted as desired or to to fit the season.
- 1 1/3 cups millet, rinse and drain
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, one thinly sliced, one diced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
Source: this recipe is adapted from Kevin Turner