The last salad item in the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors salad cook off was Quinoa Salad with Mango and Black Bean. You can use quinoa as a substitute for rice, or mix it with chopped vegetables, nuts, or dried fruit for a salad. One thing to remember when using quinoa is to wash it thoroughly before cooking. This is because each grain has a naturally bitter coating called “saponin” that needs to be rinsed off.
Jane (also a new member of the cooking club) and Karen prepared this salad which serves 6.
This yellow and red high protein grain is easy to cook and has a moist, fluffy texture.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rice, cider, or wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups cooked quinoa (see above)
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely minced
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely sliced
- 1 can black beans