Karen demonstrated two carrot cake recipes upon Rowena’s request If I remembered correctly. The first cake is a Classisc Carrot Cake which was popularized in the 70s. It is an era where people started to reduce the intake of meat and encourage intake of vegetables, grains and fruits. A book called “Diet for a small planet” from the 70s introduced combinations of plant proteins to make a complete protein diet.
The Classic Carrot Cake is a very rich carrot cake with lots of ingredients like crushed pineapple, flaked coconut and walnuts.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (can be reduced to 1 cup)
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts or pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raisins
Click on the link below for the instructions.
Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).