Since Elaina asked for the Papaya Dessert Soup recipe from the Gilmore Park Church Community Kitchen Christmas Potluck 2008, I decided to post it here to share with everyone. Lorna, thank you for sharing the recipe.
- 2 Hawaii Papayas —– peel and cut into big cubes
- 3 White Fungus —– wash, soak in water till soft, core out the centre hard part and cut into small pieces, scald in boiling water and drain
- 10 Figs (Chinese white figs) —– wash and cut to quarters
- 20 Red Dates (Chinese dried red dates) —– wash, soak in water till soft cut to halves
- 3 tablespoons Chinese sweet and bitter almonds* ( skinless ) —– wash
- 1 pack Crystal Sugar (small cubes) 400 g.—– or rock sugar
- 16 cups of water
- Bring the water to boil and add in the white fungus, figs, red dates, sweet & bitter almonds
- Bring to boil and simmer on low heat for an hour
- Bring the soup to a boil again on high heat, add in the crystal sugar, stir till melt
- Add in the Papaya cubes, turn off the stove, cover and let sit for 5 minutes
- Serve while hot or chilled.
This recipe serves 12 to 15.
* Chinese sweet and bitter almonds is known as “larm buck herng” in Cantonese.