Charlene had planned a sort of Greek menu for the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors. In the menu are Grilled Chicken, Red Onion and Mint Kebabs, Greek Salad, Carrot Orzo, Creamy Hummus and Lemon Garlic Pita Chips. It was an ambitious attempt to complete all these in 2 1/2 hours especially when the oven is slow and unreliable. It takes ages for those gas oven to heat up and we usually have to set the temperature much higher than the required temperature to achieve the same result. Do you have a problem with your oven? I do as mine takes a long time to heat up if I set it on broiler mode.
Joyce and Sydney partnered up to make this Chicken Kebab dish.
The Grilled Chicken, Red Onion and Mint Kebabs are colourful and moist. It features the popular Greek flavours of mint and oregano. The kebabs can be served over rice or with pita bread..
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 x 12-inch metal or bamboo skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning while broiling)