The second recipe which Minoo demonstrated at the Gilmore Park Church Community Kitchen was a pasta dish. It is a fast, easy and fresh tasting pasta. It is made with canned tuna which is usually a pantry item and freshen up with some fresh sweet tomatoes.
This fast and easy Fettuccini with Tuna and Fresh Toamatoes dish is perfect for a family meal on a busy evening.
- 375g fettuccine or other long pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each, dried basil and thyme
- pinch of hot pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cans light tuna (look for Italian tuna packed in olive oil for a more intense flavour tuna); you may replace tuna with 125g chopped smoked salmon and add 1 teaspoon crushed pink or green peppercorns with the garlic or 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 4 small plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup whole or chopped black or green olives (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil