Minoo decided to have a theme of baked goods at the Gilmore Park Church Community Kitchen. It is the time of the year where there will be numerous potlucks to attend and baked goods make a good potluck item. Making baked goods as a gift during this holiday season is so much more personal and thoughtful than buying store bought gifts.
The first recipe is a Dates and Prunes Squares. This is a crumbly square but it is so good with the natural sweetness from the dates and prunes and it’s rich in fiber.
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) chopped pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) chopped pitted prunes
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 3/4 teaspoon (4ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) large-flake rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) baking soda
- 2/3 cup (150ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons (25ml) cold water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chopped almonds
Source: unknown via Minoo
This Post Has 3 Comments
Can I substitute white granulated sugar instead of brown sugar to make these squares? if yes, how much should i need to add?
Hi Sanmita, you can substitute the brown sugar with white granulated sugar. Generally, the substitution is 1 to 1. We had actually reduced the amount of sugar from the original recipe.
thanks for your prompt reply