In the South Arm Older Adults Cooking Club, Michelle introduced a new item which is Coconut Oil.
Coconut oil can be used in place of oil or butter. It has fairly high heat tolerance and can be used in cooking like sauteing up to medium high heat.
It has a nice coconut flavour and great for baked goods like zucchini and banana bread.
Here is an excerpt on coconut oil and its benefit from Dr. Oz shared by Michelle in the kitchen.
What are the health benefits of coconut oil?
- help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illnesses
- help to fight off yeast, fungus and candida
- improves insulin use within the body, hence improve blood sugar control
- boost thyroid function which helps to increase metabolism, energy and endurance
- increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins
- lowers cholesterol by promoting its conversion to pregnenolone, a molecule that is a precursor to many of the hormones our bodies need
- improves cholesterol ratio level as coconut oil has a saturated fat called lauric acid, which increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood
- a wonderful moisturizer for skin and hair as it has good amounts of the antioxidant vitamin E
- promote heart health
- support your immune system health
- support a healthy metabolism
When purchasing coconut oil, look for organic and virgin for a more pure product.