The South Arm Older Adults Cooking Club harvested some baby kale from the garden for salad.
We picked the leaves from the bottom of the kale. Kale is a hardy plant and it will survive the mild winter here. Michelle had a kale plant in her garden which lasted 3 years and it grew to 5 feet tall before it toppled.
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves very thinly slice (if baby kale, just remove the ribs)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 cup dates, seeds removed, cut into slivers
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 ounce pecorino, finely grated (1/4 cup), optional
- freshly ground black pepper