Michelle shared a Berry Best Bran Muffin recipe from Healthy Family Meals for dessert at the South Arm Older Adults Cooking Club on Earth Day.
Wheat bran is a very good source of fiber, omega fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. It also can help you feel full and satisfied without adding lots of calories.
It’s useful to add fiber to muffins, quick breads, cookies and breading mixtures for fish or chicken. Unprocessed wheat bran can be found in the cereal section of the supermarkets.
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or milk mixed with 1 tablespoon vinegar)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries
Source: Healthy Family Meals