Minoo kicked start the Caring Place Community Kitchen with two dishes. The first dish is Roasted Sweet Potato soup with orange and ginger. You may make this dish with yam, pumpkin or other winter squashes.
This Roasted Sweet Potato Soup is a creamy soup flavoured with orange zest and grated ginger. It is best served warm. The creaminess of the soup comes from the sour cream. However, you may substitute the sour cream with a couple tablespoons of peanut butter and it’s equally good.
- 6 cups peeled, cubed yams or sweet potatoes (about 3 large ones)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon each grated orange zest and gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- Chopped, fresh cilantro for garnishing