For the dessert, Minoo made some Crisp Seedy Oatmeal Cookies in the Gilmore Park Church Community Kitchen.
This Crisp Seedy Oatmeal Cookie will satisfy anyone. It has a variety of seeds like sunflower seed and water melon seeds. The original recipe has pumpkin seeds instead of the water melon seeds. This cookie is great for snack or lunch box. This recipe yields 42 cookies.
The puffed rice cereal in the cookies make them a bit chewier than my preference. I would leave out the puffed rice cereal in these cookies as I find that the baked rice cereal kind of sticks between my teeth.
- 1 cup (250ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (250ml) packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla
- 2 cups (500ml) quick-cooking (not instant) rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) puffed rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (50ml) unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup (50ml) water melon seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) salt