Frank, Paul and June teamed up to make a side dish called Carrot, Orange and Poppy Seed Bake in the South Arm Cooking Club for seniors. This recipe requires lots of cutting. While Joan and Joyce teamed up to make the Cranberry Fruit Compote, Joyce decided to help this team to do some cutting as her recipe is fairly simple and Joan can watch over it by herself.
The poppy seeds add texture and flavour to this recipe and counteract the slightly sweet flavour of the carrots.
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peel and cut into thin strips
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups fresh orange juice
- a handful of raisins, optional
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- orange rind to garnish
- You may substitute cumin with 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice and 2 teaspoons chopped thyme.
- You may substitute orange juice with lemon or lime juice and garnish with the respective fruit rind.
Click on Read More for the instructions.