In the plum canning workshop, we also made an Orange Plum Jam. The color of this jam will wary from golden to jewel purple, depending upon the colour of the plums. In our case, it’s golden yellow as we are using the Golden Plums.
This Orange Plum Jam is delicious as a spread on toast, or as a topping for angel food cake or cheesecake. You can substitute the orange flavoured liqueur with almond flavour liqueur, or with flavoured syrups. If you choose to omit the syrups, the final yield will be slightly less.
- 5 cups plums, pitted and finely chopped (about 2-3 lbs or 1-1.25 kg)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, grated (about 1 large, or 2 small oranges)
- 1 package powdered fruit pectin (1.75oz or 49-57g)
- 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup orange flavoured liqueur (optional)
Please refer to previous post on Plums in Syrup for the preparation for the canning.
Here’s a youtube video on home canning by Karen DW featured on Global BC TV a few weeks ago: