Helena and June made this African Curried Coconut Stew with Chickpeas in the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors.
This African Curried Coconut Stew with Chickpeas is wonderful. The peanut butter adds an interesting flavour to this hearty stew.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- salt to taste
Source: adapted from Donna Klein’s Tropical Vegan Kitchen
Prep time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 25 minutes; Serves 4.