The second dish which Minoo prepared from the Vancouver Sun was Butternut Squash Gratin with Parmesan Sage Breadcrumbs. It”s in season now. Winter squash is a good source of fiber, vitamin C, manganese, magnesium and potassium. It is also an excellent source of Vitamin A and E.
This casserole dish is tender, crisp, sweet and savoury. It is a great dish for potluck.
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, about 1 pound (450g), chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 pounds (1.1 kg) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) freshly ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (180ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (250ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) chopped fresh sage leaves
Source: adapted from Vancouver Sun
Makes 8 servings
P/S: the shallots are not supposed to be in the ingredients
|Preheat the oven to 350F.
Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish or spray with nonstick spray.
Minoo placed the butternut squash in the oven to soften the skin for easy peeling.
|Alternatively, you can microwave the butternut squash for a few minutes until the skin soften.
Peel, remove seeds and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
|Heat butter and olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
Add the onions and garlic and cook until they are light golden, about 5 to 8 minutes.
|Add the squash and cook until it glistens.
Add the sugar to help the butternut squash to caramelized.
Season with half of the salt and pepper, and nutmeg.
|Cook until the onions and squash begin to caramelize, 5 to 6 minutes.
Sprinkle with the sage.
|Transfer to the prepared dish, spread evenly and add the stock.
|Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove from the oven.
|Increase the oven temperature to 400F.
Mix the panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, the remaining salt and pepper.
Sprinkle evenly over the squash mixture.
Bake, uncovered, until the top is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.