Michelle prepared a Creamy Kale and Vegetable Soup for the South Arm Seniors’ Kitchen in line with the cruciferous theme. Kale belongs to the cabbage family. Moreover, the kale is harvested from the Seniors’ Community Garden.
The Creamy Kale and Vegetable Soup is best served with some nice crusty bread. If you like Italian sausage, you can slice it and include it when your are sauteeing the veggies. Or, use farmer sausage but leave out the rosemary.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or minced (about 2 tablespoons minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, chopped or ground with mortar & pestle
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled & diced (or 4 to 5 small potatoes)
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups white beans, fresh cooked or canned
- 1 head kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup cream
- rind of Parmesan cheese, optional