The second recipe made in the South Arm Multicultural Community Kitchen is a high fiber salad.
The Quinoa Black Beans Salad Spiced with Cumin is filing and nutritious.
This salad is high in protein as 1 cup of black beans has 13g of dietary fiber.
Minoo shared with us some facts and nutritional values of quinoa in the kitchen. I had blogged about it here.
1/4 cup of quinoa has:
- 170g calories
- 3g fat
- 5mg sodium
- 30g carbohydrate
- 3g dietary fiber
- 1g sugar
- 5g protein
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen or from can)
- 2 x 15 ounces (540ml) cans black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or more for drizzling on the salad
- chili powder for garnishing, optional
Source: via Minoo