The South Arm Women Community Kitchen is back in action after Christmas break.
For the first kitchen, Michelle prepared 3 simple recipes for some old and some new participants. The main course is a Beef Stew with Noodles. This is a hearty one pot complete meal.
- Use affordable chuck roast for stews because it becomes tender and flavourful as it simmers. Cutting the meat into smaller pieces shortens the cooking time.
- Cutting vegetables into evenly sized cubes helps to ensure that they’ll finish cooking at the same time.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt and ground pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) chicken broth (preferably reduced-sodium)
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 cups egg noodles (or more)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
Source: This recipe is adapted from MarthaStewart.com
Serves about 6, depending on serving size