The South Arm Community Kitchen met again on a Wednesday. We made a winter soup with various seasonal root vegetables.
This simple, robust and cold weather soup can be made with almost any mixture of root vegetables you can get on hand. We made this with carrots, parsnips, celery root, turnips, rutabaga and sweet potatoes. Winter gourd, potatoes and squash are great for this soup too.
We served the Mixed Root Vegetables Soup with a 3 chicken salad of 3 different flavours.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion or 2 leeks (white and light green part only), chopped
- 2 to 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 rosemary or thyme stalks (or 1 teaspoon dried ones)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 pounds mixed root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, celery root, turnip, rutabaga, sweet or regular potatoes), peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon, or more for serving
- extra virgin olive oil
- chili flakes, optional
Source: South Arm Community Kitchen