Christina and Stella were assigned to this recipe, Mini Empanadas. However, everyone lends their helping hands when it comes to forming the Mini Empanadas. This recipe is adapted from Southern Living. It yields 36 tiny empanadas.
These little Latin-inspired Mini Empanadas are irresistible right out of the oven. They’re are incredibly low in fat because they’re baked, not deep fried and yet they are crispy. The raisins add a touch of sweetness to these empanadas.
- 8 oz skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small onion, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 pimento-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable cooking spray, or oil
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs (optional)
- 36 (3-inch) square wonton wrappers
- salt to taste
Preheat oven to 400F.