Guacamole originate from the Aztec and became popular in Spain. The name Guacamole comes from an Aztec dialect, ahuacatl means avocado and molli means sauce. Branca made this very popular dipping sauce to go with her home-made Tortillas.
Guacamole is creamy by the ripe avocado, fragrant by the cilantro and a hint of tanginess from the lime juice. It is a very nutritious dip rich with good monounsaturated fat from the avocado.
Here are some tips on buying avocado:
- choose black ones
- it should be lightly tender to touch
- if you buy unripen avocado, wrap them in newspaper and place them at a warm place to speed up the ripening process
- you can also place the avocados next to some apples to speed up the ripening process
- if you would like to keep them for a while, refrigerate them
- Ripe avocados
- red tomatoes, diced
- onion, finely chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- salt to taste
- freshly squeeze lime juice
- finely chopped serranos (optional)