This is a very flexible recipe. It’s a guide for building your own grain salad using the ingredients you love best. Chris O’Brennan, Christina and Lorna made this high fiber salad in the South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors.
Many grains freeze well. The next time you’re making brown rice, quinoa, or barley, be sure to make a big batch and freeze the leftovers for making Mighty Grain Salad in the future.
- 2 cups cooked grain (bulghur, quinoa, brown rice, barley, etc)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil (olive, olive, sunflower, grapeseed, etc)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons acid (citrus juice or vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons total of any desired spices (cumin, coriander or curry powder)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups finely diced vegetables (peppers, cucumber, celery, carrot, etc)
- 1 small handful each of scallion and herbs (parsley, chives, cilantro or basil), finely chopped
- 1 540ml can beans (kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas, etc), rinsed and drained
- 1 handful of toasted nuts or seeds (pumpkin seeds, pecans, almonds, walnuts, etc)
- 1 handful of dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, chopped apricots, etc)
- 1 small handful crumbled feta or goat cheese
Source: from an unknown cookbook
Prep time: 20 minutes; Serves 4