The South Arm Cooking Club for seniors celebrated Vaisakhi with an east Indian theme recipes. Charlene prepared 4 Indo-Canadian inspired recipes for this meeting.
The first recipe is a simple Stir-Fried Green Beans with Coconut. It takes a few minutes longer to cook than a Chinese style stir-fry. The green beans are tender and aromatic instead of crisp and light.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound green beans, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 cup roasted peanuts (optional)
Source: this recipe is adapted from Suvir Saran
Prep time: 20 minutes; Cook time 25 minutes; Serves 4 to 6