The second dish prepared by the seniors at the South Arm Cooking Club for seniors is a vegetarian chili dish. This is a healthy and hearty dish for the cold winter.
The Spiced Squash and Corn Chili has a little kick in it and it utilizes butternut squash which is in season. The addition of walnuts adds a little crunch to the chili.
Butternut squash is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, C and E, manganese, magnesium and potassium.
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, about 4 cups
- 2 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder or according to taste
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or according to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander and ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon and allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes or according to taste
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika or according to taste
- 3 bell peppers, mix colors, chopped
- 1 can corn nibblets
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
Serves 8 to 12