The South Arm Community Kitchen met again on a Wednesday. We made three recipes as usual.
The first recipe is Green Peas Soup. A dollop of sour cream adds creaminess to the soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or more to coat the bottom of pan
- 1 medium leek, whites and light green parts only, halved and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large potato, peeled, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups (16 oz) frozen peas
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (we used 4 teaspoons of organic chicken powder to make the chicken broth)
- a couple sprigs of fresh thyme, tied in a bundle (or 1 tablespoon of dried thyme)
- 1/3 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
Source: South Arm Community Kitchen
|Heat a large heavy bottomed stockpot. Add oil. Once oil is warm, add onions and cook over medium-high heat for 30 to 45 seconds. Add garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant.
|Add leeks, potatoes and peas. Cook until leeks have softened and frozen peas start to defrost, about three minutes.
|Add 4 teaspoons of organic chicken powder.
|Add dried thyme or fresh thyme bundle if using.
|Add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes can be easily smashed with a fork.
Remove from heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
If using fresh thyme, remove thyme bundle.
|Puree soup using an immersion blender, or transfer soup in batches to a blender. Blend soup until smooth.
Stir in sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
Serve soup warm or chilled with additional sour cream or fresh lemon thyme leaves.