The theme for this South Arm Cooking Club for Seniors Kitchen is Fall Vegetarian Meal featuring some superfoods.
The first superfood is nutritional yeast. I have not heard of nutritional yeast until today.
Here are some facts about nutritional yeast extracted from wikepedia.org which Michelle shared in the kitchen:
- nutritional yeast is deactivated yeast
- source of protein
- usually fortified with B vitamins
- can be used as a cheese substitute in mashed or fried potatoes, tofu
- tasty topping for popcorn
- often used as nutritional support for vegetarians and vegans
- best flavour from Red Star brand
This nutritional yeast dressing is creamy, cheesy and nutty. This dressing is great on spinach or mixed green salad. It lasts for about a week in the refrigerator.
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or fruit vinegar
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil (grapeseed, sunflower or canola)
- 1 to 2 heads lettuce, chopped and washed
- 2 to 3 carrots, grated
- handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 long cucumber, diced
- seeds or nuts, optional