For the summer months, the South Arm Community Kitchen only have one kitchen in July and another in August. The kitchen has to be conducted in the Gilmore Park Church due the the kitchen in the South Arm Community Center is being used for summer programs.
Minoo shared a few vegetarian recipes in the month of July. She received a lot of vegetables donated by the Richmond Sharing Farm for the use in community kitchens. For this particular kitchen, the donated vegetables included Swiss Chard, Zucchini and Turnips.
The Richmond Sharing Farm grows food to feed Richmond families in need. The harvest goes to community meals and Richmond Food Bank for distribution. This non-profit organization is operated by volunteers. You can find out more about the Richmond Sharing Farm in their website: www.sharingfarm.ca.
We started off with a salad made with some of the turnips donated from the Sharing Farm.
- 1 to 2 bunches small salad turnips and/or radishes, peel and dice
- 1 carrot, peel and cut into matchsticks
- 1 sweet-tart apple (like Gala, Fuji or Honey Crisp), unpeeled and cut into thin wedges
- 4 cups of mixed salad greens of your choice, optional
- 1/4 cup diced dried apricot
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1/4 cup shelled slivered pistachio (can be substituted with toasted pecans or walnuts)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic reduction
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
P/S: Minoo bought the pistachio from Persia on Main St., Vancouver
Source: South Arm Community Kitchen
|Arrange the cut vegetables on a platter for the pleasure of your eyes.
|Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until thicken.
Drizzle dressing over vegetables. Toss to mix well before serving.